Questions for Eliezer
Q: What does a discussion of which EA cause to donate to look like? Or what will a discussion between economists look like? (user story for Arbital the Salon)
- Why are we doing the Explanations beta before discussion / debate?
- I've previously said "explanations are the key to debates" and you said that's wrong, but why?
- Would you not say being able to get any participant up to speed on a topic is the key to debates?
Q: How should the front page look?
- Current draft: 3fv
Q: How are writers going to know what to write? Are we relying on people coming with ideas, or are we capturing "requests" somehow?
- (see: proposal above)
Q: Let's review the writer-reader feedback cycle
- Nate comes to Arbital with a topic he wants to write about. He follows the How to author on Arbital! guide and produces a series of pages he's happy with.
- All of the pages show up on the front page, and a few readers dive in.
- Should only one of them show up -- should Nate promote some page as the "entry point" into his explanation?
- Nate's pages get some likes, and remain on the front page.
- should pages decay off the front page?
- Nate checks out his user page, sees that he's gotten L likes and taught N people some concepts. He decides to write some more.
Q: How do updates like "L people liked your thing" and "N people learned from your page appear"? What about updates like "5 people were confused by this sentence"?
Q: Is XP part of the MFP for the beta?
Comments and queries
Q: Can we bury the comment feature behind the other ways we'd like people to interact with the page (marks)? Otherwise people might only use the comments.
- and in general this currently feels unusable
- only see these options when I select text
- get three different icons and it's not clear which to click on (suggest combining to one button)
- unclear to new user what queries are about
- why would I choose question / objection instead of a discussion comment?